Buddhist Image from Cambodia

Buddhist Image from Cambodia
Smile you are alive!

On the Mekong RIver

On the Mekong RIver
Another day on the road of life

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It's hard to keep up!

Ok so the thing about being on the road and not having a notebook computer but only really a notebook and pen is that at some point you have to stop walking around and sit down and type. I love to share what is in my head and have done a fair amount of journling but finding the time where I am not doing other things,even if it is just people watching is a bit daunting I'm finding. So a quick update and maybe tomorrow if I'm in a writing mode I'll backtrack a bit...wow, so much has happened in 2 weeks it's more than a bit I guess. I'm now in Chiang Mai, visiting a friend Barb who lived in Korea for a while and thus we met. It's been fantastic talking with someone who is not just passing through as you do when traveling on the road with other travelers. Actually, I've been doing little talking up until now an have spent the majority of my days lost in my thoughts. I think a digital voice recoder could be very useful on my wanderings as I often feel I have some of my most inspired ideas of how to share the moment when a pen and paper is not always conveninent or even possible.

So, here in CM with Barb I've been delighting in the wonderful food mostly. Fresh wok fried whole fish and a spicy green papaya salad made for a perfect dinner on the street last night. Barb took me along some great winding roads in the inner "walled in old city" where we window shopped and I actually found a beautiful silk scarf that I immediately wore around my neck and shoulders for the rest of the night. She and I sat out talked and walked until about 3something this morning, which made for a short night but it's such a gift to have the time to share together. She has blessed me in my stay here with a couch at a friends who lives in the old part of the city along a winding narrow SOI (small street) filled with lush gardens, old wooden Thai houses with porches on stilts and pointy roofs typical of Kemmher and Saimese architecture. It is such a wonderful treat to be living a little "local " for the moment. Chiang Mai is a mixed bag of gorgeous Thai history, Buddhism, local markets full of colorful fruits, vegetables and textiles, delcious aromatic local food and tourists galore. . . I know, I'm a tourist too. .. I'm glad to have the chance to be with a few local people here though. It does make the experience different. I well write more tomorrow. . .

1 comment:

  1. I loved spending time with Barb while I was there, we had a blast together! Make sure you check out the "white temple". If you have time you should at some point take the local's bus to somewhere, however, I'd do it on a shorter trip. It is well worth the experience of getting to travel like the locals. I want to go back...

    ReplyDelete