Buddhist Image from Cambodia

Buddhist Image from Cambodia
Smile you are alive!

On the Mekong RIver

On the Mekong RIver
Another day on the road of life

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Bangkok day 1

It's my first day here, the beads of sweat roll down my back and forehead as the tropical air and intermittent rain showers cure me of my airplane dehydration. I've decided after one day in Bangkok to jump aboard an early bus tomorrow to catch the morning colors of the Dampiern Saduak Floating Market. I find that the first day of travel is always the longest and the slowest including lots of walking around to get my bearings in my new location. I'll leave Bangkok tomorrow for a few nights heading toward the west. I'll see the famous River Kwoi Bridge (spelling?) and a few other touristy attractions before heading north on a night train to Phitsanulok. Perhaps after a few days biking around there I'll head west to Sukhothai and then to Mae Sot to find my way off the beaten path to see some of the lush country and the ethnic minority tribal groups.

Sitting in a cafe it's fun to watch the fellow travelers stroll by in all their varying states of road worn disarray. . . it's pretty easy to pick out who's been on the road for a while. Hearing a smattering of European languages is music to my ears and surprisingly the melodious Thai song is beginning to sound a little bit familiar already. The smiles of the local passersby are warm and friendly and as always help to eas the way. It's nice to be in a place where a warm smile is met with a response. . . other than the cold unaffected stare of the self conscious Seoulites. The street food is plentiful, aromatic and like a painting to the eye. Perhaps what I'm enjoying most about people watching here is the variety of shapes, sizes and facial features. It is such a welcomed relief from the monotony of homogeneous Seoul, South Korea.

My eyes are getting accustomed to my contacts which I hardly ever wear and as things begin to come into focus I realize that as always the trip though extended for some (6-7 weeks) is just to short to possibly do and see all I have a yen for. It always goes buy in the blink of an eye. So I will remember to breath in every moment and focus on my present. I remember now why I barely seem to need to sleep while I am on the road, it affects me like a Thai Red Bull, the anticipation and excitement about what's around the next corner revs me up more than any shot of caffeine. I've known for a long while that travel is my drug of choice. I don't know if I'll ever find a cure... well, I guess that is OK, it seems to be a positive force in my life.

I'll be off the grid for a few days. . . Surely will have some adventure to speak of by the next installment.
-On the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment